The site, formerly occupied by a hotel/ boarding house, made way for the construction of a “modern picture theatre” for the Imperial Picture Company, now our 84 year old Regent Cinema, which opened on 21st March 1935 to a full house of 700.
With a huge screen measuring 9x3.7 m, and now seating 330 due to the screen being brought forward in the 1980s, it remains one of the largest in the country today. Similar buildings of this era have either been bulldozed or rehashed into several smaller box-like cinemas.
In April 2016, the Regent was upgraded to a fully digital cinema, allowing us to show the latest and greatest films available. We mostly screen in the school holidays and provide a wide range of films to suit all tastes and ages.